Skip to main content

Oh Sushi Japanese Restaurant @ Strait Quay Penang 日本料理













Oh Sushi Japanese Restaurant in Strait Quay

Once in awhile Ah Boy and I will spoil ourselves in expensive restaurant and we love sashimi. I have known this restaurant in Strait Quay for awhile but never dine in before. We went there around 8.30pm on Friday and surprisingly the restaurant was full of people - group of friends, couple and a lot of families. Luckily there was still a table for us inside. I did not want to sit outside to feed the bloody sucker mosquitoes. The food quality and overall impression were okay, I was happy to pay for it and most importantly we did enjoy our food. Apparently some of the staffs and chefs are Japanese but the managers/cashiers are local Chinese. A very weird experience of in the middle of dining in Japanese resto, you will hear the two managers's voices very loud like in a kopitiam.  

For the serving part, uhmm not very professional but they were polite and friendly. Ah Boy and I don't like to order everything at once for Japanese food. We prefer to order dish by dish in Japanese restaurant. I was so hungry that time, so I told the waitress to serve me the Ramen first. Ah Boy started with sushi followed by his favourite wahyu beef. Then we finished with sashimi plate. Oh yea, Ah boy ordered a bottle of sake, taste like rice wine with a little sweetness, we love it. We didn't wait long for the food surprisingly.


The portions were quite generous as in the thickness of white tuna and salmon, very fullfilling, Syiok! Love their side dishes of seaweeds and baby octopus


I was so happy to see this on the menu. However I was so undecided to order or not. I was afraid this may turn me down. Oh well, it didn't turn me down and I would definitely go back for the Ramen again! I love the ramen, the broth wasn't that salty (still salty) and not taste like ajinomoto/seasoning. Because from my past experiences, I usually had to drink a lot of water after eating ramen but it did not happen this time. I assume they did make the broth properly. Other than that, the pork slices were sweet in taste not like I had previously at other places which were salty. I would prefer the sweet pork slices because it balanced the saltiness of soup base so that it won't be too salty for overall enjoyment. 


The assorted sushi ordered by Ah Boy. I  am not sure how it tasted but they were quite pricey compare to other sushi shop. The price of one sushi here equal to 2 sushi price you can usually get outside. 


Ah Boy's food again - Wahyu beef. Not something I will order in Japanese resto. The beef was really thin, not enough to eat! It was just okay for me. The hot pan was really hot. Be caution if you order this, dont touch the pan. Maybe something special about this dish was they heat the pan until very hot and the raw beef were cooked by the heat conduction from the hot pan, without fire. That's why you can see the pinky flesh of raw meat inside with only thin cooked outer layer. This cooking method could keep the tenderness and juiciness of  meat. I would suggest a little bit thicker of beef than this will be good, so that people can really enjoy this dish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stir Fry Clams Recipe with Fermented Soy Beans - lala 蛤蜊炒豆酱

Lala, one of my favourite mom's home-cook food. I hardly order this when I eat out in a restaurant because I am fussy about the taste and the freshness. M om's one is the BEST in quality and definitely the freshness.   Whenever I go back to home town, Yan Kecil in Kedah; I always look for seafood to eat especially clam and crabs!  I will hunt for them when I cycled around in the fish village . Otherwise I will ask my mom whether she can get it from the fishmonger in the market .  Initially I was looking for the harder, longer shape's clams but only this small type of clam so called 'lala' was available in the market during the Hari Raya day.  It was only sold for RM3/kilo in the marke t and more than enough to feed us for lunch and dinner. Seafood is so much cheaper to eat and fresh in home town.  The flesh is really small. So you have to be patient , take the flesh out one by one. Therefore some people don't like to eat them but I enjoy it so

Cintan Mee Recipe ( Stir Fry Noodles ) 炒金旦面

Cintan Mee - The Ding Dong Mee I love Cintan Mee so much, whether it is stir-fried with tomyam or soy sauce. I 'developed' this dish from an old kopitiam in my hometown which used to be famous of Cintan Mee. The shop was owned by an old couple but they closed the shop when I was in Year 5? Oh it was long time ago! Everyone miss their cintan mee.  Thank god for gifted me such a good tongue and I made it!!! The taste is similar but the method of preparing is differ from the old couple. Also, I skip some ingredients to make it easy and simple.  My sister loves it because she misses it so much as she was away from home for so many years. I remembered when I was in primary school and she came back from oversea, she will ask me to take away for her and she wanted it dry ( less sauce compare to the wet one). I could see she enjoys this dish so much whenever I cooked. Sadly I don't have any photo of how was the noodles looked. I really miss it. So why I

Steam Okra / Lady Fingers Recipe 蒸羊角豆

Okra:Simple and Healthy The preparation is very easy to go and save you a lot of time. My family loves this simple and healthy dish. Light and not oily. I used to dislike this vegetable because of its sticky mucous-liked texture. Once you used to it, you will love okra! Okra is sold very cheap in Malaysia. It contains good source of fiber, vitamin C and folate. You can get 12 okra in a pack for only RM1. It is also easy to plant in warm tropical area. Ingredients 1 pack okra ( 10-15 okras, depends on size) 1 tbsp fried garlic 1 tbsp soy sauce Directions 1. Steam the okra for 5-7 minutes on top of the rice in a rice cooker ( When the rice is almost cooked).     Alternative ways :  Cook it in a steamer for 5 mins. Steam in a pot for 5-7 mins. Cook in a boiling water pot for 3 mins. 2. Take it out from the rice cooker.  3. Spread the fried garlic and soy sauce on top of the dish. It is ready to serve! Note: Most of the Chinese back