Skip to main content

Stir Fry Clams Recipe with Fermented Soy Beans - lala 蛤蜊炒豆酱


Lala, one of my favourite mom's home-cook food. I hardly order this when I eat out in a restaurant because I am fussy about the taste and the freshness. Mom's one is the BEST in quality and definitely the freshness. 

Whenever I go back to home town, Yan Kecil in Kedah; I always look for seafood to eat especially clam and crabs! I will hunt for them when I cycled around in the fish village. Otherwise I will ask my mom whether she can get it from the fishmonger in the market

Initially I was looking for the harder, longer shape's clams but only this small type of clam so called 'lala' was available in the market during the Hari Raya day. It was only sold for RM3/kilo in the market and more than enough to feed us for lunch and dinner.Seafood is so much cheaper to eat and fresh in home town. 

The flesh is really small. So you have to be patient, take the flesh out one by one. Therefore some people don't like to eat them but I enjoy it so much! I feel so satisfy every time when my plate is full of the shells at the end of meal! 


Isn't it looking good from the photo? Mom cooked and I just helped her to stir the paste. Okay, here I am going to share my mom's recipe. The ingredient are all estimated in portion as you know, the traditional mom's cooking way :). I try my best to remember everything, hope I didn't miss out anything.

Ingredients

1 kg clams
1 bunch Thai basil
1- 2 tbsp sugar - to taste
5 tbsp oil

Paste:
1 bulb garlic
5 small shallots
1 inch ginger
5 long red chillies, deseeded
3 tbsp fermented soy bean 

Directions

  1. Soak and wash the clams thoroughly.
  2. Put the paste ingredients in a blender and process until smooth (not necessary to be very smooth).
  3. Heat the oil in the wok. 
  4. Pour the mixing paste into the wok and stir until fragrant in small to medium fire. (could take up to 5 mins to stir)
  5. Put the Thai basil and the clams in the wok. Stir quickly to allow the paste and clams mix together.
  6. Cover the clams with a lid to allow it simmer for 1 minutes.
  7. Lift the lid and seasoned the dish with sugar. 
  8. Ready to serve.

Notes

  1. How to wash the clams? If you bought the fresh clams from the market, which means they are still alive, you need to soak them in the salt water for at least 1 to 2 hours. Change the water a few times to get rid of the soil/mud/sand. 
  2. It is important to cover the clams with lid. Once the shell is opened, means it is cooked! Make sure it is cooked so that you won't run to the toilet.
  3. Don't overcooked it, it will turn into rubber-like texture. 
  4. For health purpose, you may reduce the oil to 3 tbsp instead.

Soak the clams in water  

 Thai basil is important to give the signature flavour to the dish.

Spices to make paste

Mom used traditional way, the mortar and pestle to grind the ingredients into paste

Cover the clams with lid. The clams are cooked once the shells are opened. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cintan Mee Recipe ( Stir Fry Noodles ) 炒金旦面

Cintan Mee - The Ding Dong Mee


I love Cintan Mee so much, whether it is stir-fried with tomyam or soy sauce. I 'developed' this dish from an old kopitiam in my hometown which used to be famous of Cintan Mee. The shop was owned by an old couple but they closed the shop when I was in Year 5? Oh it was long time ago! Everyone miss their cintan mee. 
Thank god for gifted me such a good tongue and I made it!!! The taste is similar but the method of preparing is differ from the old couple. Also, I skip some ingredients to make it easy and simple. 

My sister loves it because she misses it so much as she was away from home for so many years. I remembered when I was in primary school and she came back from oversea, she will ask me to take away for her and she wanted it dry ( less sauce compare to the wet one). I could see she enjoys this dish so much whenever I cooked.



Sadly I don't have any photo of how was the noodles looked. I really miss it. So why I said my cooking method is diffe…

Yen Seafood Restaurant @ Batu Kawan, Penang

SEAFOOD Dinner @ Yen Seafood Restaurant


A hidden seafood restaurant in Batu Kawan surrounded by palm plantation which is located not far from the Penang Second Bridge. It has two dining area: air-conditional indoor and fresh-air outdoor. Plenty of car parks and dining tables. However, it is advisable to book during the weekend.



What's make so many people come here for food??? Because the price is cheap and reasonable??? You can see some alive fishes, crabs and mantis shrimps at the left side of the restaurant.
Steamed fish
http://instagram.com/p/mw_ZnlzAwR/
I would like to skip the comment about the sauce because nothing special and very light in taste. However, the flesh was indeed very fresh and heaps!!! We struggled to finish the whole fish because it was very huge and this dish came out last. I wonder why it came out last??? This dish should come out in the middle because it is good to go with rice...
Deep Fried Squid (SOTONG)
Uhmm...... I can't taste and feel the squid. Was it t…

Bee Hooi Cafe @ Pulau Tikus, Penang

What to eat at Bee Hooi Cafe/kopitiam? 
1. Char Hor Fan ( Flat-wide Rice Noodles with Gravy )
2. Chicken Porridge
3. Duck Egg Char Kuey Tiao ( Stir Fry Flat Rice Noodles with Duck Egg )


My first time here was just a coincident stop-by a random kopitiam to take away supper. There sells quite a selection of food even though not as variety as the food court of course. However you can find some good food here! Well, the best and my favourite is still the 'Char Hor Fan'!
Char Hor Fan I ordered the Char Hor Fan since I haven't eaten for awhile. I was so excited when I had the first spoon - the taste that I missed > The Authentic Taste! The sauce didn't overwhelm the flavour of stir fry noodles. You can still taste the wok taste and the noodle wasn't so oily too. The stall are owned by an old couple. I wish they could teach me how to cook this. RM5 for a plate of Char Hor Fun.

Not just the flat rice noodles, they also stir fry it with a little bit of vermicelli. Some people d…