Skip to main content

Yen Seafood Restaurant @ Batu Kawan, Penang


SEAFOOD Dinner @ Yen Seafood Restaurant


A hidden seafood restaurant in Batu Kawan surrounded by palm plantation which is located not far from the Penang Second Bridge. It has two dining area: air-conditional indoor and fresh-air outdoor. Plenty of car parks and dining tables. However, it is advisable to book during the weekend.




What's make so many people come here for food??? Because the price is cheap and reasonable??? You can see some alive fishes, crabs and mantis shrimps at the left side of the restaurant.

Steamed fish
http://instagram.com/p/mw_ZnlzAwR/

I would like to skip the comment about the sauce because nothing special and very light in taste. However, the flesh was indeed very fresh and heaps!!! We struggled to finish the whole fish because it was very huge and this dish came out last. I wonder why it came out last??? This dish should come out in the middle because it is good to go with rice...

Deep Fried Squid (SOTONG)

Uhmm...... I can't taste and feel the squid. Was it the batter too thick? Squid overcooked? Or the flavour of batter had overwhelmed the squid? I saw the next table ordered the squid with no batter one. Maybe without batter one is better??? Oh yea I forgot to take the photo of the chilli/tomato sauce. The sauce taste different from other restaurant because they mix with kumquat/sour plum. 

 Steamed LALA (clams)
 http://instagram.com/p/mw9_Y1TA_G/

The most satisfied dish of the night! Clams steamed with minced garlic, chilli, coriander, kumquat juice and pinch of salt. I love to steam my fish fillets this way too because the preparation is so simple and yummy to eat. Plus it is way healthier than stir fry:). Besides, I love to drink the soup/sauce of this dish because it is very refreshing and appetising.

Butter Prawn
 http://instagram.com/p/mw8mbWTA95/

Is this dish called 'butter prawn' or we ordered the wrong one? Because the prawn didn't taste butter. It looked more like cereal prawn. The prawns were well fried because I ate the whole prawn without peeling!!! Just be careful when you eat the cereal because there were some chopped green chilli paddy mixed in it even though the cereal wasn't spicy tasted.

NUTMEG Drink

At first we ordered the the ambarella juice (forgot to take the photo) with sour plum that came in a jar, then only we ordered nutmeg drink. My friend said there are two types of nutmeg drink. The one we ordered was the red nutmeg which was sweet in taste. I am not sure how is the other type of nutmeg drink taste like but I used to try the freshly squeeze nutmeg juice from the stall. It was quite astringent and took me awhile to finish it. Well, I prefer to start with ambarella drinks because of its sour, greeny and salty taste, such a nice appetising drinks. Nutmeg drinks also good :)

Mantis Shrimp with Salted Egg Yolk
http://instagram.com/p/mw746KzA9h/

I wasn't really impressed by this dish. I was expecting the aromatic and sweet mantis shrimp to blew up my mind. Unfortunately not. I don't think the salted egg yolk overwhelming the shrimp because the dish didn't taste heavy egg yolk but it did make the shrimp lost its crunchiness. I just don't know where this dish went wrong. I believe the chef could cook this dish better -- As in crunchy, sweet and aromatic mantis shrimp with solidity/sandy feel salted egg yolk( not the soggy one).

Penang Second Bridge

After finished the meal, we went back Penang Island via Penang Second Bridge. This was my first time taking Penang Second Bridge after coming back from oversea last month. Since there were not much cars at night, it took only 10 minutes for a typical Malaysian (no speed limits) to reach the other end of the bridge. Yen restaurant was only less than 10 minutes ( approximately 5 mins) drive from the bridge.



Blurred image yet very beautiful. Love the colourful bridge at night

The conclusion is the seafood here was fresh as in, at least they didn't make me feel vomiting or disgusting by the fishy smell. However, the dish didn't bring out the aromatic and sweetness of seafood itself which was a bit disappointing. Maybe we ordered the wrong dish??? Anyway thanks to my friends that brought me here:) and it was actually a happy belated birthday celebration dinner for Mr Bulat-bulat.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stir Fry Clams Recipe with Fermented Soy Beans - lala 蛤蜊炒豆酱

Lala, one of my favourite mom's home-cook food. I hardly order this when I eat out in a restaurant because I am fussy about the taste and the freshness. M om's one is the BEST in quality and definitely the freshness.   Whenever I go back to home town, Yan Kecil in Kedah; I always look for seafood to eat especially clam and crabs!  I will hunt for them when I cycled around in the fish village . Otherwise I will ask my mom whether she can get it from the fishmonger in the market .  Initially I was looking for the harder, longer shape's clams but only this small type of clam so called 'lala' was available in the market during the Hari Raya day.  It was only sold for RM3/kilo in the marke t and more than enough to feed us for lunch and dinner. Seafood is so much cheaper to eat and fresh in home town.  The flesh is really small. So you have to be patient , take the flesh out one by one. Therefore some people don't like to eat them but I enjoy it so

Cintan Mee Recipe ( Stir Fry Noodles ) 炒金旦面

Cintan Mee - The Ding Dong Mee I love Cintan Mee so much, whether it is stir-fried with tomyam or soy sauce. I 'developed' this dish from an old kopitiam in my hometown which used to be famous of Cintan Mee. The shop was owned by an old couple but they closed the shop when I was in Year 5? Oh it was long time ago! Everyone miss their cintan mee.  Thank god for gifted me such a good tongue and I made it!!! The taste is similar but the method of preparing is differ from the old couple. Also, I skip some ingredients to make it easy and simple.  My sister loves it because she misses it so much as she was away from home for so many years. I remembered when I was in primary school and she came back from oversea, she will ask me to take away for her and she wanted it dry ( less sauce compare to the wet one). I could see she enjoys this dish so much whenever I cooked. Sadly I don't have any photo of how was the noodles looked. I really miss it. So why I

Steam Okra / Lady Fingers Recipe 蒸羊角豆

Okra:Simple and Healthy The preparation is very easy to go and save you a lot of time. My family loves this simple and healthy dish. Light and not oily. I used to dislike this vegetable because of its sticky mucous-liked texture. Once you used to it, you will love okra! Okra is sold very cheap in Malaysia. It contains good source of fiber, vitamin C and folate. You can get 12 okra in a pack for only RM1. It is also easy to plant in warm tropical area. Ingredients 1 pack okra ( 10-15 okras, depends on size) 1 tbsp fried garlic 1 tbsp soy sauce Directions 1. Steam the okra for 5-7 minutes on top of the rice in a rice cooker ( When the rice is almost cooked).     Alternative ways :  Cook it in a steamer for 5 mins. Steam in a pot for 5-7 mins. Cook in a boiling water pot for 3 mins. 2. Take it out from the rice cooker.  3. Spread the fried garlic and soy sauce on top of the dish. It is ready to serve! Note: Most of the Chinese back