Skip to main content

Lemongrass Chicken in Banana Leaf Recipe 香茅鸡

Lemongrass Chicken in Banana Leaf

I have craved for Vietnamese food for long since I came back Malaysia. Vietnamese restaurant was one of my favourite list in Melbourne and the signature food is 'Pho', the beef noodles. Oh I love that too especially the one made by my sis. However, broken rice with lemongrass pork was one of my favourite take away dish or if I was feeling for rice.  

I am so excited to hear there are actually a few Vietnamese restaurants opened in Penang island. There are quite a lot of food bloggers write about them too. I shall pay a visit sometimes when I am free. 


Back to the story, I was on the plan of making Vietnamese lemongrass chicken (pork sold out). How would my lemongrass chicken turned out like this? Thanks to aunty Neoh. She said it is not good to eat fried food so often. Well, we are not and I do concern about eating healthy too. Sorry I am not complaining but thank you for the effort you have helped me. Thanks for finding the banana leaves and create such an amazing new dish. Aunty Neoh put the chicken in a bowl-shaped banana leaves and cooked it in the oven for 20 minutes.

For those with health concern or hate oil-cooking,
you can cook it in the oven or grill. You can brush the meat with olive oil/healthier oil when you grill. It won't be too oily. At the same time, it keeps the juiciness and flavours too.

This dish taste better with pan-fry or grill. To bring out the holy lemongrass taste, you need some oil to brighten it. Otherwise, it will be dried or bland in taste. 

How was this taste like? 
It was tender and juicy. However it was not as aromatic and flavoured compare to the one I pan-fried it on pan after 1 hour of marination just for trying. Ah Boy said it tasted like satay. The lemongrass flavour do make people connect it with Malaysian dish, the Satay. 

Flavour It!
If you think it is bland, you can just heat the remaining marinated sauce in a pan or add it with honey and pour the sauce over the meat. What I did was I had the 'nam guoc' sauce (with heaps lemon juice) to go with this dish. It turned out good and very appetising. Oh yes I am happy to eat rice today!!! 


I don't think this is a failed attempt but just another way of cooking method with less oil and save time. I won't give up. I believe I will make it perfectly one day to serve my lovely friends and family with delicious Viet food. You are welcome too.

Ingredients:

2 pieces of small chicken breast
1 stalk lemongrass
2 cloves garlic
1 shallot
1 1/2 to 2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp fish sauce
1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp oil

Instructions:

1. Slice the chicken breast into 4 pieces. You can skip this step. I prefer it thin.
2. Mix all the ingredients in a mixer, not included chicken.
3. Pour the mixture in a bowl and mix it well with chicken.
4. For good result, marinate for 4 hours or more ( Please put in the fridge for food safety concern ). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stir Fry Clams Recipe with Fermented Soy Beans - lala 蛤蜊炒豆酱

Lala, one of my favourite mom's home-cook food. I hardly order this when I eat out in a restaurant because I am fussy about the taste and the freshness. M om's one is the BEST in quality and definitely the freshness.   Whenever I go back to home town, Yan Kecil in Kedah; I always look for seafood to eat especially clam and crabs!  I will hunt for them when I cycled around in the fish village . Otherwise I will ask my mom whether she can get it from the fishmonger in the market .  Initially I was looking for the harder, longer shape's clams but only this small type of clam so called 'lala' was available in the market during the Hari Raya day.  It was only sold for RM3/kilo in the marke t and more than enough to feed us for lunch and dinner. Seafood is so much cheaper to eat and fresh in home town.  The flesh is really small. So you have to be patient , take the flesh out one by one. Therefore some people don't like to eat them but I enjoy it so

Cintan Mee Recipe ( Stir Fry Noodles ) 炒金旦面

Cintan Mee - The Ding Dong Mee I love Cintan Mee so much, whether it is stir-fried with tomyam or soy sauce. I 'developed' this dish from an old kopitiam in my hometown which used to be famous of Cintan Mee. The shop was owned by an old couple but they closed the shop when I was in Year 5? Oh it was long time ago! Everyone miss their cintan mee.  Thank god for gifted me such a good tongue and I made it!!! The taste is similar but the method of preparing is differ from the old couple. Also, I skip some ingredients to make it easy and simple.  My sister loves it because she misses it so much as she was away from home for so many years. I remembered when I was in primary school and she came back from oversea, she will ask me to take away for her and she wanted it dry ( less sauce compare to the wet one). I could see she enjoys this dish so much whenever I cooked. Sadly I don't have any photo of how was the noodles looked. I really miss it. So why I

Steam Okra / Lady Fingers Recipe 蒸羊角豆

Okra:Simple and Healthy The preparation is very easy to go and save you a lot of time. My family loves this simple and healthy dish. Light and not oily. I used to dislike this vegetable because of its sticky mucous-liked texture. Once you used to it, you will love okra! Okra is sold very cheap in Malaysia. It contains good source of fiber, vitamin C and folate. You can get 12 okra in a pack for only RM1. It is also easy to plant in warm tropical area. Ingredients 1 pack okra ( 10-15 okras, depends on size) 1 tbsp fried garlic 1 tbsp soy sauce Directions 1. Steam the okra for 5-7 minutes on top of the rice in a rice cooker ( When the rice is almost cooked).     Alternative ways :  Cook it in a steamer for 5 mins. Steam in a pot for 5-7 mins. Cook in a boiling water pot for 3 mins. 2. Take it out from the rice cooker.  3. Spread the fried garlic and soy sauce on top of the dish. It is ready to serve! Note: Most of the Chinese back