Skip to main content

Duck Rice @ Ayer Itam, Penang near Kek Lok Si 鸭饭

Ayer Itam Duck Rice 
 ` Teow Chew Style' Braised Duck Rice

I think I am not wrong this is Teow Chew style duck rice. Please do correct me if I am wrong.  A food that is almost forgotten by me. A memorable and cultural food that means a lot to me...

I was so excited to hear there is a braised duck rice around the corner which is well known in Ayer Itam neighbourhood area ( cough* paise I am a new resident in Penang).  The smell of the braised duck caught by my nose while I was in the queue, had awaken my memories of the braised duck dish which was not to be missed dish on Chinese New Year, and also remind me of my late-grandparents. I miss you Ah Ma, Ah Kong <3 .

* Boyfie and I were hoping we won't get caught by the parents having supper at 11.30pm. Erkk mission failed because of the intense aroma of duck rice spreading in the house !!!

Sorry about the mess because I had it takeaway. 

The duck rice comes with pork, egg, bean curd and intestine at the price of RM4.50. Unfortunately there was no intestine on that day because no stock available from the butcher according to the owner. Oh intestine, everyone love you~~~ I am not a fan of bean curd so I only requested for pork and egg on the duck rice. The aunty cut everything together into small pieces and wrap in the paper wrapper. So you probably couldn't notice what were those chunks on top of the rice. Why cut it into so small pieces??? Looked large in quantities or easier to eat??? 

Not much of duck pieces given ( understandable) but pork with a lot of fat. Anyway we love the fat even though it is very unhealthy!!! The fat which had absorb all the braised duck flavour tasted so nice when it melted in the mouth. Pork fat added in the duck rice indeed is a big bonus in enhancing the flavour. Surprisingly, the duck rice wasn't as salty as I expected which is good because not too heavy for supper and I hate drinking tonnes of water at night. The home-made chilli sauce was quite spicy for me but still I love it. 


The stall is owned by the old couple. Only opened at night, 10pm till late night.
Small portion: RM4.50 
Large portion: RM 5.50


If you see from the pictures above, you will notice a board stating 'PLEASE QUEUE' and 'SELF SERVICE'. Oh yes, you need to queue and many people were lining for duck rice. So it took me about 15 minutes to reach my turn. They are too busy to serve the plate right on your table. 



If you are somewhere near Kek Lok Si after 10pm and hunting/craving for supper, you should stop by Air Itam Market to have a try. There are also other stalls that sell other food. Other than that, should try the signature fresh milk owned by the Indian across the road. 


Ducky ducky ducky :D  The braised duck is not like the other roast duck with crispy skin. Braised duck is soft to bite with aromatic of spices and ducky taste.

Check it out other food around Air Itam area :
1. Char Kuew Teow
http://theflavoursomejourney.blogspot.com/2015/04/ah-leng-char-koay-teow.html



Comments

  1. It wasn't that nice when I had it yesterday for my second time lol..... Anyway still a lot of local people...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stir Fry Clams Recipe with Fermented Soy Beans - lala 蛤蜊炒豆酱

Lala, one of my favourite mom's home-cook food. I hardly order this when I eat out in a restaurant because I am fussy about the taste and the freshness. M om's one is the BEST in quality and definitely the freshness.   Whenever I go back to home town, Yan Kecil in Kedah; I always look for seafood to eat especially clam and crabs!  I will hunt for them when I cycled around in the fish village . Otherwise I will ask my mom whether she can get it from the fishmonger in the market .  Initially I was looking for the harder, longer shape's clams but only this small type of clam so called 'lala' was available in the market during the Hari Raya day.  It was only sold for RM3/kilo in the marke t and more than enough to feed us for lunch and dinner. Seafood is so much cheaper to eat and fresh in home town.  The flesh is really small. So you have to be patient , take the flesh out one by one. Therefore some people don't like to eat them but I enjoy it so

Cintan Mee Recipe ( Stir Fry Noodles ) 炒金旦面

Cintan Mee - The Ding Dong Mee I love Cintan Mee so much, whether it is stir-fried with tomyam or soy sauce. I 'developed' this dish from an old kopitiam in my hometown which used to be famous of Cintan Mee. The shop was owned by an old couple but they closed the shop when I was in Year 5? Oh it was long time ago! Everyone miss their cintan mee.  Thank god for gifted me such a good tongue and I made it!!! The taste is similar but the method of preparing is differ from the old couple. Also, I skip some ingredients to make it easy and simple.  My sister loves it because she misses it so much as she was away from home for so many years. I remembered when I was in primary school and she came back from oversea, she will ask me to take away for her and she wanted it dry ( less sauce compare to the wet one). I could see she enjoys this dish so much whenever I cooked. Sadly I don't have any photo of how was the noodles looked. I really miss it. So why I

Steam Okra / Lady Fingers Recipe 蒸羊角豆

Okra:Simple and Healthy The preparation is very easy to go and save you a lot of time. My family loves this simple and healthy dish. Light and not oily. I used to dislike this vegetable because of its sticky mucous-liked texture. Once you used to it, you will love okra! Okra is sold very cheap in Malaysia. It contains good source of fiber, vitamin C and folate. You can get 12 okra in a pack for only RM1. It is also easy to plant in warm tropical area. Ingredients 1 pack okra ( 10-15 okras, depends on size) 1 tbsp fried garlic 1 tbsp soy sauce Directions 1. Steam the okra for 5-7 minutes on top of the rice in a rice cooker ( When the rice is almost cooked).     Alternative ways :  Cook it in a steamer for 5 mins. Steam in a pot for 5-7 mins. Cook in a boiling water pot for 3 mins. 2. Take it out from the rice cooker.  3. Spread the fried garlic and soy sauce on top of the dish. It is ready to serve! Note: Most of the Chinese back