Skip to main content

Simple Choy Sum Recipe 炒菜心

A simple plate of green

A simple and easy home-cooked dish. It wasn't that bland in taste. A few drops of soy sauce do bring out the sweetness of choy sum. 


Ingredients :
 2 large bunchs choy sum, cut into 4cm long
 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
 1 tbsp soy sauce
Instructions :
1. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan. 
2. Stir in garlic until aromatic but not golden brown.
3. Add choy sum. 
4. Add in soy sauce. Stir a bit to make sure the vegetables are flavoured well with soy sauce and garlic. 
5. Then add 50ml of water.
Notes/ Tips : 
Soak the choy sum in water for 30 minutes before cooking.
For the choy sum, separate the stalk and the leaves. Stir fry the stalk first for approximate 15-20 seconds then followed by the leaves to make sure the stalks are cooked and the leaves won’t be too soft. 
You can substitute the soy sauce with table salt but soy sauce give more flavour to the dish. 
Healthy Eat :
Skip the soy sauce or adjust it to 1/2 tbsp whereas 1/2 tbsp for oil. ( Reduce oil and salt )


Personally prefers crunchy bite of stir fry vegetables. I don’t like my vegetables overcooked or soft like grandmother food. Oh yea, my late-grandma and elder family members like their vegetables soft because it will be easier for them to chew. My little cute niece starts learn to eat vegetables too and my sister needs to cook it extra soft for her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stir Fry Clams Recipe with Fermented Soy Beans - lala 蛤蜊炒豆酱

Lala, one of my favourite mom's home-cook food. I hardly order this when I eat out in a restaurant because I am fussy about the taste and the freshness. M om's one is the BEST in quality and definitely the freshness.   Whenever I go back to home town, Yan Kecil in Kedah; I always look for seafood to eat especially clam and crabs!  I will hunt for them when I cycled around in the fish village . Otherwise I will ask my mom whether she can get it from the fishmonger in the market .  Initially I was looking for the harder, longer shape's clams but only this small type of clam so called 'lala' was available in the market during the Hari Raya day.  It was only sold for RM3/kilo in the marke t and more than enough to feed us for lunch and dinner. Seafood is so much cheaper to eat and fresh in home town.  The flesh is really small. So you have to be patient , take the flesh out one by one. Therefore some people don't like to eat them but I enjoy it so

Cintan Mee Recipe ( Stir Fry Noodles ) 炒金旦面

Cintan Mee - The Ding Dong Mee I love Cintan Mee so much, whether it is stir-fried with tomyam or soy sauce. I 'developed' this dish from an old kopitiam in my hometown which used to be famous of Cintan Mee. The shop was owned by an old couple but they closed the shop when I was in Year 5? Oh it was long time ago! Everyone miss their cintan mee.  Thank god for gifted me such a good tongue and I made it!!! The taste is similar but the method of preparing is differ from the old couple. Also, I skip some ingredients to make it easy and simple.  My sister loves it because she misses it so much as she was away from home for so many years. I remembered when I was in primary school and she came back from oversea, she will ask me to take away for her and she wanted it dry ( less sauce compare to the wet one). I could see she enjoys this dish so much whenever I cooked. Sadly I don't have any photo of how was the noodles looked. I really miss it. So why I

Steam Okra / Lady Fingers Recipe 蒸羊角豆

Okra:Simple and Healthy The preparation is very easy to go and save you a lot of time. My family loves this simple and healthy dish. Light and not oily. I used to dislike this vegetable because of its sticky mucous-liked texture. Once you used to it, you will love okra! Okra is sold very cheap in Malaysia. It contains good source of fiber, vitamin C and folate. You can get 12 okra in a pack for only RM1. It is also easy to plant in warm tropical area. Ingredients 1 pack okra ( 10-15 okras, depends on size) 1 tbsp fried garlic 1 tbsp soy sauce Directions 1. Steam the okra for 5-7 minutes on top of the rice in a rice cooker ( When the rice is almost cooked).     Alternative ways :  Cook it in a steamer for 5 mins. Steam in a pot for 5-7 mins. Cook in a boiling water pot for 3 mins. 2. Take it out from the rice cooker.  3. Spread the fried garlic and soy sauce on top of the dish. It is ready to serve! Note: Most of the Chinese back